Saturday 17 June 2017

Falling off the edge of the Blogosphere


Don't push me!

I wasn't completely unaware of new tidings in the 40k world.  But I was wary.  The carefully managed hype train and inclusive fostering of the community was quite fascinating.  It was almost a courtship.  Overwhelming endorsement of the internets is all a bit surreal really.  Even the salty element, who own a bajillion leprechaun marines secretly want to start a new army of super buff marines.  At this point it doesn't matter if the game is actually shit or not because I believe.  I haven't rolled a dice in anger yet but I'm sure this is going to be the best edition of 40k evah.  The turning point, for me, is the Return of The Swarmlord.

Septimus wondered if he would ever get the stains out.

I watched an 8th Edition battle rep on Frontline Gaming featuring Nids vs. Ultramarines. Everybody's favourite bullet magnet, Swarmy was leading the Nids.  I fully expected him to receive yet another pasting and was not disappointed.  However, there were several points which made me sit up and take notice.  For instance, Swarmy arrived via Tyrannocyte exactly as planned.  There is no scattering or rolling for reserves in 8th Edition (Mawlocs are tactical geniuses now).  Then there was the fact that he ran 18 inches across the board and punched Roboute Guilliman in the face.   The Lord High Poobah of the Imperium himself.  That really got my attention.  This game is going to play a hell of a lot faster.  He could have won too but for some bad dice.  Robot Girlyman's counter punch was utterly devastating of course but hey, he is practically a living God who can hold his breath for half an hour in a total vacuum.  I wasn't expecting miracles.  As it was, Roboute barely made it out alive and was finished off by a handful of frickin' Termagants (+mommy).  Oh sweet, sweet ignominious death by chaff units!  There is justice in the world after all.  Of course he keeps coming back to life like the son of a God he is.  He's the daddy now in Newhammer.  Papa Smurf vs. Papa Nurgle in the final showdown of all humanity!

Look into the face of fear!

In a moment of weakness earlier this year I bought Deathwatch Overkill but the box remained more or less untouched for several months.  All the marines are still on the sprue (they're too small for me now.  I want the big boys) but I've been building up my GSC slowly but surely and converting many an unsuspecting Chaos Cultist to the Four Armed God.  I even found an old Chimera which I dusted off and renamed 'Limo'.

This is my first Genestealer Cult conversion.  There may not be more.  Its more of a vignette really and my favourite Scion, Septimus Clegg makes a comeback.  Not sure how Septimus is going to get out of this one.  But he'll think of something.  Anyway,  the small child inside me which used to stay up all night on Christmas Eve because he was so excited by the prospect of new toys is awake.

Lets get reeeeeeady to ruuumble!





2 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic little vignette - awesome work, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mordian. I suppose I should do some painting now. I don't have your work ethic unfortunately.

      Delete